Cleveland Park | Woodley Park
About Cleveland Park
Like its sister neighborhood Woodley Park, Cleveland Park was founded as a single estate. A 998-acre farm, comprising most of today’s neighborhood, is believed to have been established circa 1740. The oldest house in the area, Rosedale, was built in 1794 by Uriah Forrestre, a friend of George Washington. The building, which occupied 3501 Newark Street, became one of the few residences of what is now Cleveland Park. The neighborhood also has many famous architectural designs. Arthur Heaton’s nationally-acclaimed design for the Park & Shop, one of the nation’s first automobile-oriented shopping centers (3507 Connecticut Ave.) was born here. And, I.M. Pei, the internationally-renowned Chinese-born architect, designed the house at 3411 Ordway Street in 1962. The neighborhood is also home to the designs of Winthrop Faukner, a Washington based architect, who designed the Great Ape Amphitheater at the National Zoo and part of the United States Embassy compound in Jakarta, Indonesia.
Cleveland Park straddles Connecticut Avenue and is bounded by Rock Creek Park to the east; Tilden and Upton Streets to the north; 37th Street, Wisconsin Avenue, and 34th Street to the west; and Woodley Road and the southern border of the Washington International School to the south. Since its inception, Cleveland Park has been a neighborhood that has stressed the residential aspect of its development. The area is still home to fine townhouses and condominium buildings and still offers residents a host of treats by merely stepping outside their doors. Lining the neighborhood streets that run between Connecticut and Wisconsin Avenues are large, detached homes in a variety of styles: bungalows, colonial revivals, mission revivals, and Tudors. Many have wide porches, decent-sized yards and driveways.
The neighborhood holds a variety of diverse restaurants. No matter what your mood, you will always find a cuisine to suit your tastes. Cleveland Park is seamless in offering chain stores, which offer convenience, along with specialized boutiques which provide for unique gifts.
About Woodley Park
The neighborhood now known as Woodley Park was founded in 1800, shortly after an uncle of Francis Scott Key purchased a 250-acre tract of land in suburban Washington. Naming the estate “Woodley” from which the neighborhood derives its name, much of the parcel remained intact for nearly a century.
On the eve of the 20th century, as Washington continued its expansion, so too did the need for housing. The period of 1905-1910 saw a wave of residential building in Woodley Park. The new bridge made the neighborhood more accessible and within five years, nearly 150, three to four story townhouses were constructed. Apartment buildings also entered the scene. In 1914, the first apartment building appeared at 2812 Connecticut Avenue. Designed by Frank Russel White, it was the first multi-unit building to offer small residences to the public in the area. The building still stands today. In 1930, the Omni-Shoreham Hotel opened its doors to provide homes for transient government officials and out-of-town guests. Featuring 132 apartments and 250 hotel rooms, the scale of the building, for Washington, was massive. Guests could entertain themselves in the hotel’s nightclub and the Omni-Shoreham terrace dancing pavilion was popular not just with residents of the hotel. Well-heeled Washingtonians regularly trekked to the spot to dine and dance the night away.
The bustling zone of Connecticut Avenue is Woodley Park’s central spine. Its hallmark being the National Zoo. But, it also hosts a wide variety of cuisines to choose from — French, Indian, Thai, and even Afghan – one does not lack choice. An added bonus to living in this neighborhood is its proximity to the rest of the city: within close walking distance are Adams Morgan, Cleveland Park and Rock Creek Park. Dupont Circle is a twenty-minute walk away.
With its large lawns and quiet residential streets, kids have room to play, and there are a number of local parks and playgrounds — plus Rock Creek Park. The neighborhood is also home to several high-quality schools, including Oyster Elementary, a bilingual public elementary school. Private schools include Aidan Montessori and the Maret School and a number of other private schools are close by, including Washington International School, the National Cathedral School and St. Albans.
3141 HIGHLAND PLACE NW WASHINGTON, District Of Columbia
9 Beds 6 Baths 4,979 SqFt 0.470 Acres
3619 TILDEN STREET NW WASHINGTON, District Of Columbia
4 Beds 5 Baths 2,900 SqFt 0.240 Acres
3005 34TH STREET NW WASHINGTON, District Of Columbia
4 Beds 4 Baths 2,800 SqFt 0.100 Acres
3415 RODMAN STREET NW WASHINGTON, District Of Columbia
4 Beds 5 Baths 2,440 SqFt 0.100 Acres
3306 PORTER STREET NW WASHINGTON, District Of Columbia
4 Beds 4 Baths 2,737 SqFt 0.170 Acres
3225 KLINGLE ROAD NW WASHINGTON, District Of Columbia
5 Beds 5 Baths 2,095 SqFt 0.050 Acres
3223 KLINGLE ROAD NW WASHINGTON, District Of Columbia
4 Beds 5 Baths 2,600 SqFt 0.070 Acres
3303 HIGHLAND PLACE NW WASHINGTON, District Of Columbia
5 Beds 3 Baths 2,141 SqFt 0.200 Acres